Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 11:04:35 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Between Jim's and Bob's comments on the probability of coumaphos accumulation in wax used for
foundation and the effects it will probably have, it makes top bar hive beekeeping (for hobbyists)
look better and better all the time.  Either that or making your own foundation from your own wax so
you know what is or isn't in it.  You wouldn't want people getting sick from burning beeswax candles
either.  On the other hand, maybe there's not enough pesticide in it to make people sick.  Or maybe
the pesticide is destroyed in the burning process, or maybe not?  Someone else can do the testing.
I'll do the speculating.  Consumers make their decisions based on what they believe to be true.
Ever heard of GM corn?  Is it "dangerous"?  But most people won't buy it or eat it.

My wife worked in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant for a while.  Now she will not eat in a
Chinese restaurant.  What you don't know won't hurt you, or could it?  Odds are it won't , but I like
to reduce the odds to zero if I can.  Therefore I'll accept environmental contamination that I can't
control, but I will control the things I can control.

Layne Westover

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2