From:
Nick S Behrens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:45:33 -0500
Wow, I helped start a small fire. And I think some people are going
in the right and wrong direction from what I thought it would go.  I
agree with Eric, interstate commerce has issues. Good and Bad. But
going back to the importation of bees from other countries, what is
the true need for pollination (can anyone say (on/off list)) how many
packages they need to fulfill pollination contracts?  If you were
*NOT* allowed to import honeybees in "pinches" what would the loss in
pollination be? Millions, billions? Can US beekeepers provide enough
pollinators period even? The point is, we need outside bees often to
meet pollination needs for the US as well as exports. But the
question associated with that is this, what is the economic, dare I
say political, and dietary effect of not having sufficient
pollination? Are the risks as a society (as a whole) worth it to
import bees, even though you may not know their bagage? Are consumers
willing to have *cheap* apples, almonds and so fourth for the next
ten years, while people import random bees with random or unknown
diseases and problems?  These are questions we as beekeepers and US
consumers need to start a discussion on, what is the societal costs
associated with importing bees. I am not against importing bees, but
know you have to assume the worst.

Nick

>* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
>* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

Nick Behrens
Entomology Graduate Student
Iowa State University