From:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 13:23:14 -0500
Greetings,
having lived in Quebec for a number of years now and used the "Quebec" board
illustrated below; l have found another similar board (here in Quebec) which
with minor modifications works as well as the one below but is much easier
to make. I have no photographs at present but will take one later this week
and could send it to those interested. The hole is now drilled close to the
short side and just one triangle is used with one opening. This triangle
stretches almost the whole length of the board. I am aware of the
disadvantages of just one exit but it appears to work well and not get
blocked. One very important thing to remember is to make the frame around
the board DEEP. On the screen side mine are over one inch and on the other
at least 3/4". If you do not have sufficient depth on the screen side the
bees may build burr comb and when you come to remove the board the screen
gets ripped off. The extra depth appears to make it easier for the bees to
go down as there is plenty of space to cluster under the board.
Peter
http://www.internode.net/Honeybee/Diary/images/PB090370.JPG