From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:12:05 -0600
> Even more, if there is a problem, why not talk to the people who are
> running it and give them your concerns directly, so they can do
> something about it instead of critical analysis on an international
> forum of what you do not like?

I thought this thread was dead, but, well -- since you asked...

When I originally wrote, I had found myself at the last moment for EAS
pre-registration.  I had assumed the filling out the form would be a
simple matter and be done in a few minutes.  But when I found myself
confronted with the task, I realised that much of what I needed to know
to decide, was simply not there, and *I had run out of time*.  It was a
weekend, and I had a decision to make.

I looked at the EAS 'contacts' page and did not see any link to 'more
information'. For that matter, I just now revisited the site to check
the 'contacts' page and found an impressive list of names, but no
mention of where to find further information without disturbing some
high mucky-muck or bothering the webmaster.  (I assume the webmaster had
put everything he/she has been given onto the site.  It is a nicely done
site, BTW.  It just lacks important info).

Having hit a deadline, and not knowing where to look, I wrote to
BEE-L -- as many of us do when we have a bee-related problem.  I know
that many on BEE-L attend EAS.   I was hoping someone would just send me
an URL to the info that I expected must be there somewhere, so I could
complete my registration by the deadline.  As I wrote, I found that I
had more and more questions that were not answered, and mentioned them
too.

> In essence, the complaint is that the table of contents should be
> better, therefore the book is questionable.

Actually that is a great analogy, as far as it goes.    I realise that
novels usually don't have an index, or sometimes, even a table of
contents, but what good is a technical reference text without a good
table of contents, a bibliography, and  -- even more so -- a good index?
Frankly, I was assuming that EAS was like a technical book,
metaphorically speaking, and that is why I wrote. As a result of my
BEE-L query, I can see that I had an unrealistic notion of what EAS is
about.   I've learned that EAS is like a 'Dead' concert, and I can see
that I am expected to check my critical facualties at the door, and to
be happy to take whatever is provided, whenever it is provided.  That
also explains the lack of clarity in the program info and the implicit
expectation that i should know without being told.

As a result of my query and the replies, I found myself much less
impelled to attend the whole thing, or to pre-register, and I let the
matter drop.

I should add, though, that several EAS people, and a truck driver, have
written, as a result of my query on BEE-L, offering to to answer any
questions and help me out.  No one has, however, offered me the most
important information for which I asked -- a proper detailed listing of
events and venues -- but the truck driver has been the most helpful so
far.  He provided me a listing of places near the venue where I can park
my rig, and also get back on the freeway.  (Thanks).

I should, perhaps, apologise to the EAS people who wrote me, since I
have not have time to take up dialogue with them.  They did not, and I
therefore assume cannot, provide the info I have clearly indicated I
needed.

> There is a valid point which has not been discussed and that is- are
> there too many meetings?

I hope that question is not directed to me.  I can't imagine who could
ever answer a question like that.

Anyhow, I learned what I need to know, pre-registration has passed, and
I am much less eager to take in the whole enchilada.   As previously
mentioned, I'll be in the area anyhow, and I plan to drive by EAS and
drop in on the activities.  Maybe, by the time, there will be a firm and
detailed listing of all the activities.  If not, well, I'll take my
chances.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/