From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 18:19:00 -0400
Lloyd Spear  wrote:
>  After consideration the NYS Ethics Commission ruled that hence no
inspectors could be commercial beekeepers.

No, it's not about commercial or not. They decided to be an inspector, you
can't own any bees or work in the bee industry. Not even during the six
month's when you aren't working for the state.

They even went so far as to elicit promises that the inspectors wouldn't
work with bees for two years after leaving the inspection service. Not very
many people were willing or able to comply with such a strict ruling.

Most people I know agree that there should be a threshold. I think it's 50
in Maine; to me that seems fair. That certainly would broaden the pool and
bring in some qualified people.

It should be kept in mind that just "owning bees" hardly makes you good
beekeeper expert, any more than owning a car makes you a good mechanic.

pb