From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 21:47:13 +1000
<snip>
>am talking here about the output of honest producers and packers and not
>considering the impact of adulteration, which is rampant worldwide <snip>
>  I understand that as I write, a shipment
>of NZ manuka honey is in detention in Canada, since it tested positive for
>around seven percent corn syrup.

This is a very serious statement. More information please.
I have always explained to  members of the public that it is illegal to add
any substance to honey and still call it honey and that these laws were
introduced in the United States and Australia (do not have any data on other
countries) as a response to the adulteration of honeys by addition of sugar
substitutes.  Thus, although many members of the public still believe
main-stream honey contains glycerine, I assure them that this is no longer
permitted and that no commercial honey packer would  add "fillers" to honey
today.

I do however tell them that the reason they can taste the difference between
my honey and the supermarket brands is that honey packers do treat their
honey to ensure a long shelf life whereas my honey will candy, which is a
totally natural process and which can be reversed by placing jars in hot
water. (I warn them against using microwave ovens.)

I am surprised that Allen considers adulteration to be rampant worldwide. If
a New Zealand shipment has been detected as adulterated with corn syrup, I
trust that investigation of those responsible will be followed up by
prosecution.   I do remember the "honey analogue" announcement some year
back and the swift assurances that laboratory tests can detect attempts to
pass off such products as honey.

Perhaps it may be productive to review what tests are conducted, and by
whom, to ensure that "honey is honey".  IMHO this is certainly more relevant
than the relative merits of "organic" honey as against the honey produced by
honest producers and packers.

Betty McAdam

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.on.net/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html