Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:44:06 GMT
Typically, I can inspect a hive or two without smoke, veil etc.
unless bees become defensive because they bothered by yellow jackets,
bumbles bees and there is little nectar coming in.

By the time I get to the 3rd hive, the bees start becoming
defensive.  I believe they smell the different queens' scent from the
previous 2 hives on my hands...  I will then light up my smoker using
pine needles.  I use smoke very sparingly since it can be later
tasted in honey.

Pine needles are abundant and free around here and produce a very
thick smoke.  The needles burn rather quickly so you have to refuel
often to keep the smoke going.

I mentioned to my beekeeping uncle in Poland that I was using pine
needles here in the US.  He felt the pine needle smoke was on the
harsh side and irritated bees.  He prefers to use linden/basswood
wood chips.  The smoke is lighter and keeps going longer.  But it
does effectively quiet bees down.  I plan to try basswood chips as
soon as I collect some.

My uncle also said that robbing phacelia plants in your hands makes
the hands smell attractive to bees.  I recently got some phacelia
seeds that I will plant this week so I'll be able to test this theory.

It's been said on Bee-L several times that sumac smoke knocks off
varroa although it seems to irritate bees.  I am not convinced the
benefit outweighs the smokey taste in honey unless only the brood
deep is smoked with honey supers off.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY