From:
James R Hartney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 15:49:29 -0400
After monitoring the Bee-List for a few weeks and much negotiating with my
wife, I've decided to go ahead and order a starter kit and give this
beekeeping thing a go. My wife is convinced that I'll be killed by a swarm of
killer bees so I made sure my insurance was current for her!

I live in Northern calif about 20 miles north of SFRAN in a rural
unincorporated area. We have 1/2 acre creekside, and I've located an isolated
area near the creek away from the house -- an area much frequented by deer,
skunks, and racoons, but no bears. Other than being receptive to any
ideas/suggestions, I have 2 basic questions:
       1) Where should I get my bees (I read something earlier about bees
from
          somewhere in Texas being disease free and healthier than most)?
        2) Spring is in full bloom here -- is it too late in the year? FYI
winter here rarely
          gets to freezing and summer temps can reach 100 (very dry, no
summer
          rains).

Thanks,  Jim Hartney
              Martinez, CA