Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:00:59 -0400
Last week, while combining hives, and needing to get some supers cleaned
out quickly, I set a super full of capped honey and nectar in my garden,
about 50 feet from 5 hives. I set the super on end in an upturned outer
cover and left it for three days until activity ceased. When I brought
it in, the outer cover was full of wax chips and dust, and 8 of the 10
frames had had all the honey comb areas eaten away, and all the former
brood-comb remained (empty). This is just the opposite of what wax moth
would do. The (former) honey comb was gone, just the embedded wires
remaining. There were no marks on the wooden ware frames or super.

I showed these frames to three EAS master beekeepers who were at a loss
to explain what did it. One thought perhaps the bees did it; one
suggested mice. All said "No" to yellowjackets. Any other guesses, or
explanation based on experience?

Alan in northern Virginia