From:
Al Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:27:44 -0500

> The question is, how is the best way to get the bees out of the dog house
> and into a normal hive that I can work.
>
> Here's what I've done so far.   After finding a suitable location in the
> apiary, I turned the dog house on its end so the door on top.  Then placed
> a medium hive body with 8 frames of foundation and a frame feeder over the
> door with an Imirie Shim to go between the house and the hive body.  On top
> I put a standard telescoping lid.  But, how do I get them to move up into
> their new home so I can do away with the dog house?

After reading this, and George's post I have decided that you have done a good
job of supering the dog house :)

I like what George suggested, using the cone method but I could offer some other
thoughts. If you are not trying to save the doghouse and the shape of the current
combs permits then you may be able to cut out the section of the doghouse the
comb is attached to and work things out from there.

Removing the comb with brood and putting it into empty frames is hard work and
can result in a very messy failure in the long run.

You may also consider that you may have just moved a Varroa loaded colony
into your otherwise healthy yard. If the doghouse colony breaks down then
you can have additional problems.
--

There is no doubt we need government in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net