From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:21:31 -0500
Michael Palmer wrote:

>  TM is no longer a problem here.

Interesting that with some apiaries in Maine it is a problem but just
not recognized. It took a visit by the State Bee Inspector to point that
out to a beekeeper (commercial) who though he lost his hives to Varroa.
I doubt if that is confined to Maine.

The problem with Tracheal is it is overshadowed by Varroa, so if there
is one Varroa mite found in a failed colony, Varroa is blamed where it
could have been Tracheal mites. In addition, some Varroa treatments may
(and probably do) work for both mites, so it is easy to think that
Tracheal is not a problem.

You can select for Tracheal resistant bees, and I did so. I would only
caution that the mites have not departed. Many beekeepers have no idea
what to look for, other than a dead Varroa mite on the bottom boards.
Most do not bother to pop a couple of heads and look for Tracheal Mites
in a failed colony because Varroa is easy to see and to blame.

You can still have Tracheal Mites and not see that they are your real
problem.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine