From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:38:49 -0400
Gavin Ramsay wrote:
> People that are wrong about one issue are not necessarily wrong about another.  In the case of global warming, the UN organisation IPCC has made efforts like never before to gain a scientific consensus in order to induce action from governments worldwide.  Those folk that come to your farmer's market worried about the planet's climate are not 'a growing fringe', they are mainstream, completely aligned with the scientific mainstream.

As were those who believed in Global Cooling back in the 1950s. The same
hype was around then with the same certainty in the press as it is
today. Time and Newsweek both were on the Global Cooling bandwagon, just
as they are on GW today.

Plus, you have a political organization behind the science today and
lots of money to siphon off from developed countries (think USA).

One problem with the weather is it is very difficult to predict just
what will happen over the next 100 years much less 30 days. You can,
however, look back and see what happened on a macro scale over the past
80 million years. Some interesting facts-

A rapid (in historical terms) increase in temperature occurs before the
start of each ice age and "global cooling".

CO2 increases follow the warming and do not precede it.

The earth has been warming for about the last 100 years.(Just like it
did about 1000 years ago.)

Inter-glacial periods last about 10,000 years and we are at the end of
the most recent period.(Glacial periods last about 100,000 years, so
stock up on mittens.)

During the time temperature records have been kept, global temperature
has matched the sun's activity- more active, higher temps, lower yields
lower.

The earth has had CO2 levels 18 times higher than today with no ill
effects on temperature. (That fact made the NY Times.)

More recently, the other planets are warming and the sun has been very
active compared to normal. It is now less active but higher than normal
for the end of a cycle.

Also, when the last major warming period occurred 1,000 years ago,
people prospered. When the earth then cooled it issued in the dark ages
with famine and disease.Warm is better than cool.

Water vapor is the major greenhouse gas by a significant factor, not
CO2. Methane is also a major contributor with termites and animals as
the major culprits.

Climate science is still in its infancy as is the study of the sun and
its effect on the earth's climate, much less what is actually going on
in the sun, long term.

So the science is not settled on "Global Warming", especially since the
proponents recognized a couple of years ago that the Earth's temperature
was going down so now it is "Climate Change". Some scientists predict
another "little Ice Age" to start about 2020. Here in Maine the last two
days have almost set records for max lows for the day. We did set
records for max lows on two days earlier in the year.That is very
unusual.We have been below normal temperature for most of the year.

If things continue, the earth will have cooled each of the past three
years (which matches the sun's activity). We do not seem to be getting
warmer, but cooler.Maybe the science in the 50s was better than the 90s.
Which does track with the 80,000,000 year record rather than the past 10
years of GW.

Bill Truesdell (Whose main project today is to cut firewood for winter
to add CO2 and stop global cooling.)
Bath, Maine