From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:00:52 -0500
My guess is that Allen, like Peter, uses the website to track messages
so it is easy to see the progression of a topic. So, for those who use
the website, it might make sense to do it his way.

But there are many of us who get the list by email. There is no thread
to follow other than the subject which usually goes in many different
directions.

Occasionally you  will see a reply to an email before you get the
original email.

I usually delete email after reading so do have a problem figuring out
just who Allen is replying to. Some of us are of the Sesame Street
generation (watched it with my kids) and have short attention spans.
Plus, I do have a life away from the BeeL.

As far as the semantics of "Bill Truesdell wrote" and what was quoted
was something I quoted from a reference,  I see little problem in
someone quoting my quote and having me defend it, even if the defense is
"It is only a quote." At least they know who to ask. I look at it more
as a courtesy.

Many newsgroups have you answer by quoting the entire message because
most threads develop rabbit trails. The BeeL does not allow "excessive
quotes", so it is nice for us who do not use the website to have the
sender's name so you can tell where you are in wonderland.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine