From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:29:07 -0800
> Curious statement when just about every scientist  working on the
> problem has concluded otherwise.  Just because some truth may be
> inconvenient does not justify going into denial.

Is this a fair reply to the rational comments made previously?  I suspect
not.  Using words like 'truth', 'denial', and phrases like, 'just about
every' tends to muddy the water.  Those of us who have followed the topic
for a half-century or more are intrigued by the political spin placed on
this discussion and suspect that the dogma attached has to do more with
geopolitics than with science.

That having been said, I doubt any thinking person -- and the two who have
commented are obviously thinking more than many -- is denying that we
(humans) are having _some_ effect on the climate, but I also think that the
whole topic has been 'dumbed down' for the media, and we have no clear idea
what the effects really are or will be, or how the whole scenario will play
out.

Natural events that happen periodically -- volcanos, tsunamis, asteriod
collisions, etc. -- far overpower the puny efforts of man, good or bad on
climate, no matter how onmipotent we may like to think we are.

The original question had to do with Kyoto and what influence climate
change, whether natural or man-made -- will have on us, and whether bee
associations have looked ahead.  Have we?  After all, North America has been
warming up for several millennia.  I'm told that the location from which I
am writing was under a glacier not too long ago.  Are we expecting immediate
climate changes that will affect beekeeping?

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/