From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 09:02:59 -0400
On Wed, 2 May 2007 18:12:13 -0500, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Despite all the crying foul against U.S. commercial beekeeping practices
>there has not been one case of chemical contamination from U.S. beekeepers!
>Many thought the three year honey watch put in place by the FDA would find
>many problems but was not the case.  Instead of U.S. problems the watch
>turned up problems with China and Argentine imported honey.

Guess it depends on what one defines as contamination.  Its widely known that the EPA levels for
Amitraz, Fluvalinate and Comaphous are high enough most beekeepers can skate by. Does that
mean then the honey is not contaminated?

My point is simple that many beekeeper practices have been flying under the radar until CCD came
along and beekeeping is everywhere in the media. Yesterdays AP wire story on CCD as of this
morning was picked up by 320 newspapers around the USA.

I beleive that the American public will not be impressed when they learn of the typical formulation
of Big Honey and the fact that the "typical" beehive in the USA is full of antibitotics and miticides
wether its legal levels or not. We all know that better practices are possible as many are doing it.
The problem is what is the overall perception of the public going to be? Sure there are plenty of
examples of keepers using more restraint and utlizing soft treatments etc. But that does not
represent the majority of the hives in the USA under management.

Almost every major researchers statements about CCD include references to hive inputs and
stressful practices as a source of concern. How then do we have people defending the OVERALL
commercial beekeeping practices as if they were sustainable? If the overall commercial beekeeping
picture is so bright and rosy when then have the losses been going on for years? Sounds like
denial to me.

Front page of LA TIMES today 5/3/07

Cleaning up China's honey
An entrepreneur meets resistance in changing unhealthful practices.
By Don Lee, Times Staff Writer
May 3, 2007

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-chinahoney3may03,0,2147834.story?coll=la-home-
headlines

"Wang knew that chloramphenicol was illegal, but he said he had no idea that penicillin was
another type of antibiotic and that its use also had been restricted. He says he stores the honey he
collects in iron and plastic containers.

The government doesn't care what we do," he said, squatting under a tree as the sun was setting
over the hills of Fufeng, an area redolent of apples and peppers where residents say the annual
per capita income is about $400.

Wang says he sells his honey to dealers who make their rounds in the woodlands. Some of these
traders will bring antibiotics for the keepers, but it's just as easy for beekeepers to call a local
drugstore and have someone deliver chloramphenicol or other medicines they request.

"The reason these farmers use antibiotics is simple. It is very cheap and effective," said Wang
Fengzhong, an expert on China's honey industry at the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences
in Beijing.

No one knows what percentage of Chinese beekeepers still use antibiotics. In recent years, more
farmers have switched to herbal medicines, said Li Chaohui, vice general manager of Huakang
Foreign Trade Honey Product Co. in Fufeng. Li says his company collects honey from local farmers
and sells it to factories along China's coast, which are supposed to test for contaminants, filter the
honey and package and label it for export.

Li thinks 30% of Chinese honey comes from bees treated with antibiotics, but Sun Baoli believes
the figure is as high as 70%."