From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:56:55 -0500
Hi Bob,

>What do you think of my hypothesis of why the varroa control with small cell
Dennis?

I've never measured the post capping time. Michael Bush has reported shorter
times. It could be a factor.

The most striking behavior I've seen involves broodnest cleansing. The bees
detect and remove mite infected pupa, destroying the mites and disrupting
their reproductive cycle in the process. And every kind of bee I tried does
the same. No need for a bee specifically bred for this 'hygienic' trait.

I'm sure there are a multiple factors involved. I've noticed that the bees
get better at removing phoretic mites over time as well. They seem to learn
how to handle them.

More factors, combinations and permutations. Who could ever test them all?
Maybe the bond test is the best test in this case and let time sort out the
rest.

I'm interested in your results, scientific or not.

Regards
Dennis
Thinking that we'll all be gone and there would be a new crop of gray hairs
by the time the scientific method would be exhausted on this one