From:
Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:59:27 -0500
Bill Truesdell wrote:

Some very astute things regarding potential causes of food sensiticity.

> Allergy is an inability of our system to handle something which most
> people have no problem with.

I hate to be picky, but I think it important that we keep our terms
strait.  Allergies are an inappropriate reaction of the immune system to
foreign materials to be specific.  To be allergic to something the
molecules in question need to be large enough to attract the attention
of immunocytes and be something some immunoglobilins (IgE specifically)
can stick to.  Sugar is waaaaay to small for that.  Proteins are the
main culprit.  Big molescules, sticky, oddly and specifically shaped -
just perfect for the task.

Another example - you may meet people that claim to be allergic to
anesthesia, not so - they react poorly and in unexpected ways - but are
not allergic to the stuff - the molecules are too small.

> The problem with sugar allergies, if they do truly exist, is that in all
> the sites I visited, the ones that took a semi-scientific approach, did
> not have much to support the claim that sugar allergies were the fault
> of sucrose and not something else that may have been in the sugar.

Bingo - more complex molecules and such, presented in certain ways to
certain individuals trigger an immune respose, in the case of food
items, an inappropriate one.  Many sugars available today are hardly
pure, and do contain some larger molecules.  Having said that, ever
notice that folks claiming sugar allergies are not talking about eating
sugar strait - it is always in something - never mind the sugar having
something else in it - it is usually one ingredients among many in some
other product.

I think anyone who feels that they have an allergy to sugar (or any
other food for that matter) might like to visit http://www.foodallergy.org/

To quote:

What is the difference between food allergy and food intolerance?
    Many people think the terms food allergy and food intolerance mean
    the same thing; however, they do not. A food intolerance is a
    metabolic disorder and does not involve the immune system. Lactose
    intolerance is one example of a food intolerance. A person with
    lactose intolerance lacks an enzyme that is needed to digest milk
    sugar. When the person eats milk products, symptoms such as gas,
    bloating, and abdominal pain may occur.

    A food allergy occurs when the immune system reacts to a certain
    food protein. The most common form of an immune system reaction
    occurs when the body creates immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies to
    the food. When these IgE antibodies react with the food, histamine
    and other chemicals (called mediators) cause hives, asthma, or other
    symptoms of an allergic reaction.
     end quote

    The short version - you need something large enough and complex
    enough to react with IgE - proteins are the most common offenders
    and sucrose, glucose, fructose and most other *oses are too small a
    molecule and simply wont do the trick. An oversimplification 'tis
    true, accurate none-the-less.

    So, should we correct these fine folks who proclaim a sugar
    allergy?  Nah, that would be as productive as correcting the 80
    zillion people who, once finding out I am a beekeeper, inform that
    they are allergic to bee stings.  Now since only some 1:10,000
    people are truely allergic to bee venom, I must know one heck of a
    lot of people!!  Smile nice and nod.

    Keith