From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 13:23:13 +0300
Last fall about 60 %  of 60 000 beehives in Finland were treated with OA. OA
use has grown during past 4 years from about 50 % to 60 % today . We do good
statistics in beekeeping. Last 3 year smaller than average winter losses (
about 10 %, 20 year average about 15 %)

Winter 2002 - 2003 we lost 37 % of hives. 2002  fall only 36 % were treated
with OA. The fall was warm and dry, no nectar and limited pollen. The winter
was colder than average. I think main reason was that winter bees were weak
because they developed with low quality pollen or with low amount of pollen.
We could see that bee amounts were dropping already in fall.  Had this
happpened this winter we would be high in CCD list. CCD  is a media hit also
here. I give 2 - 4 interviews for media weekly. Reporters are unhappy when I
tell them that we have not had recent bee losses in Finland. 2002 - 2003
also many other European countries had high winter mortalities.

Ari Seppälä
Finland