From:
Mark Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:26:13 -0700
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:15:25 EDT, Adony Melathopoulos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>1. What percentage of your colonies has levels of chalkbrood that you feel
>are costing you money (choose the closest)?
Going in to last season I had chalkbrood in almost every hive of the 30 in my home yard,
making pollen collection almost impossible. In the preceeding years I had tried every
recommendation I had heard plus some of my own ideas. I had found nothing that worked.
Then last spring I decided to remove the bottom boards to allow the chalkbrood mummies to
fall directly to the ground. The idea was to remove the source of the infection from
accumulating on the bottom boards. Within 2 weeks every hive that had chalkbrood got rid
of the infection and resumed normal growth and honey production. I could detect no ill
effects from the period without the bottom board and the endemic chalkbrood in the yard
went away and has not returned.
>2. What kind of reduction in disease severity would be worth the effort of
>going on to the bee yard to take some action (choose the closest)?
> - 25% reduction
>3. If there was a product, queen source or management technique that would
>leave you free of chalkbrood what would you pay per colony per season (choose
>the closest)?
> - $0.50
>4. How bad does chalkbrood have to be before you will requeen (choose the
>closest)?
> - I don't requeen, it is too much money and effort for the return
>5. If chalkbrood were a Hollywood villian who would it be (choose the
>closest)?
> - Pee Wee Herman
Last year I would have said Scarface
--
Mark Jensen   Double J Apiaries   [log in to unmask]