From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 2015 18:50:57 -0000
When I started taking the BBKA examinations (1962) it was because I was
already teaching and my wife suggested that I ought to have some
qualifications!

The BBKA Basic was then, as now, a very simple practical and viva voce.  The
entry requirement was to have kept bees for a year and the aim of the
assessment to show that you were 'safe' to handle bees; the most important
thing remains the ability to recognise the  foulbroods.

The Intermediate (taken after 3 years) consisted of two written
examinations, each of two and a half hours  - one on the practical aspects
of beekeeping and the other on the scientific aspects.  The format was
choose any four (I think) questions from six or seven and the answers were
required in essay style with a reasonable grasp of grammar and spelling.

After 5 years you could progress to the Senior, which again consisted of two
written papers, this time of three hours, plus a half day practical with two
senior examiners.  In the practical examination the examiners came to you,
inspected an apiary where you were required to have queen rearing in
progress and be able to discuss.  The examiners could require you to perform
any manipulations of their choice - no prior warning.
Then you had to demonstrate microscopy skills (this would normally be at
home) with a dissecting microscope used for an acarine dissection and a
compound microscope set up to do Nosema analysis.

I found that writing the examinations was the worst part - after many years
since I had sat exams the writer's cramp was severe!

I took a correspondence course for the senior as I was out on the road a
great deal at the time and could spend evenings in the hotels doing
something useful; it proved a great learning experience and it obviously
stood me in good stead as I then won the Wax Chandlers' award for the
highest marks of the year: the prize was a £100 cheque from the Wax
Chandlers' Guild, presented by the Lord Mayor of London after a rather fine
lunch at the Wax Chandlers' Hall.

Now the examination system has be modularised, which means that candidates
can memorise small chunks and forget them after the exam - something that I
do not like much.  It has also increased the cost enormously.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W