From:
Rebecca Zens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 23:16:04 -0400
hey, y'all, i have a question. i read a paper from ege university in turkey about
thymol in syrup being tested for effectiveness against nosema apis. then i
read something related on randy olivers page about thymol being an
antibacterial in syrup, but not regulated (in that form?) for nosema. thymol is
the active ingredient in apiguard, which is for mites. does it work for nosema
in that gel form? i don't know much about it, we've never used it, and i was
just reading about it tonight.

does anyone know where i can read more about it, and some more resources
on the differences (other than genetic) between nosema apis and nosema
ceranae? like differences in when certain symptoms appear, etc. or is that
something we just don't know that much about yet?

is there some sort of difference in by-product the to types of nosema might
produce at some point that might be detectable chemically, so that we
wouldn't have to decide whether it was N. apis or ceranae through pcr testing?