From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:09:50 -0400
Barry Birkey wrote:

> I was not aware that there were states that had no bee diseases. I thought
> by now all diseases have been in all states. No? Those that would be
> interested in bee stock from the Lusby's are in fact interested in just the
> opposite, their bees, that are able to handle mites and diseases. The proof
> is there. You just have to go see for yourself.

We have over 60,000 hives enter Maine every year. They are inspected
before they leave their home States and when they come to Maine. Not
all, but a fair sampling. They are inspected for mites and every
disease. With American foulbrood, hives are destroyed. I am very happy
that someone is watching out for Maine Beekeepers.

We do not send our inspector to the sending State because the inspectors
in that State inspect some of the colonies before they go and they are
inspected by our inspector when they arrive and during their stay.

It would be criminal (both legally and morally) to ship bees out of a
State that has been quarantined and which has no inspection program.

Also, why ship any bees from Arizona anyway, since it is the 4.9 cell
size which works for all bees everywhere.... right?

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me