From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:33:54 -0500

> I've noticed that when I eat a spoonful of honey with a
> stainless steel
> spoon, I can really taste the metal.  I tried several
> different brands of
> stainless steel spoons and the taste was always very strong.
> Thinking that
> most honey processing equipment and storage tanks are made of
> stainless
> steel, I thought I must be imagining things.  So, I tried a
> plastic spoon.
> No metallic taste!!

Stainless should not give you a metallic taste at all! You may have a high
iron content in your water. Try soaking a spoon in lemon juice overnight in
the refrigerator and then wiping off the liquid with a paper towel in the
mourning. Then use the spoon to taste the honey.

> I've  also noticed that many cooking pots and utensils are made of
> aluminum.  I don't seem to notice a metallic taste when I use aluminum
> either.  I know aluminum reacts with anything with a high pH,
> that's how
> soap puts the pits into your favorite aluminum pots, but mild
> acids don't
> react much, if any.  What's wrong with using aluminum for
> settling tanks,
> extractors, and uncapping catch troughs?

In home brewing you always avoid aluminum due to the metal taste it leaves.
I am pretty sure honey will react in a mild way with aluminum.