Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:21:01 GMT
>>Would someone ... trace their 8 or 9 frame spacer, scan the
trace and send a PDF...

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner.  But here is a simple recipe to make
these:

1. Since equipment varies a little, measure the inside width of your supers in
the direction of the row of frames.  Call it I.

2. Measure the width of the top bar of your frames and call it B.

3. The spacer looks like a wide-tooth comb.  The teeth should be tapered down a
bit for easier insertion/extraction.  Call the width (or space bet. the top
bars) at the bottom point of each tooth W.

4. For an 8-frame set-up, use this formula:

W=(I-8*B)/9

5. For an 9-frame set-up, use this formula:

W=(I-9*B)/10

6. If you make the length of your spacer equal to I, then the location of the
center of the first tooth is 1/2(W+B) and each consecutive tooth is (W+B) center
to center from the preceding tooth.

7. Using a scale (or calipers) draw this profile on your first piece and stack
the rest behind it.  Clamp all pieces together and carefully remove the material
bet. the teeth on a table saw or router.

Take your time and enjoy!

Waldemar

PS1.  The teeth need not be long - 1/2" works fine.

PS2.  Or you can space the frames by eye.  As someone suggested, after a few
supers, you'll start to develop calibrated fingers for spacing.  Really. :)
That's how I do it.  If you are off by, say, a 1/16" or so, it won't matter
to the bees or you.