From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:44:47 -0500
Hello All,
David Westervelt has given permission for me to post a post David did on the
Florida Beekeepers site.  David said they are working on a new way to
control the SHB and  information should be released  before long.
David wrote:
The SHb is able to pupate in almost any thing it can find. We have had them
pupate in nothing but a piece of filter paper in a petri dish that was
stored at room temperature.  They do like some soils better than others but
they will crawl a good ways to find what they want.  We have seen where they
went 150 feet to get to the outside of a honey house just to crawl 50 feet
more to find something to go under to pupate in. We have seen them pupate in
the dry debris in the hives after they could not go out in the ground. We've
found them in and under cardboard in a honey house that was used to keep the
floors clean.
THEY WANT TO SURVIVE & REPRODUCE....
Thank You,
David Westervelt

The above kind of shoots holes in the theory that the SHB will not be able
to pupate away from sandy soils!  The good news is David feels his new
method of control might be what we are looking for.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri