From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:50:20 -0400
>How many of you out there have scale hives?

Of course, this is a great idea. When I was in Slovenia in 2003 for
Apimondia, I saw a display on scale hives. Slovenia has a tightly knit
beekeeping community that shares info. As I recall, some of these hives have
radio transmitters so that beekeepers can be remotely alerted to significant
changes in weight.

Unfortunately, such a thing probably wouldn't catch on in the USA. Good
producing honey locations are a closely guarded secret with many. One
beekeeper reluctantly told me that his bees were getting alfalfa, but only
on the condition that I wouldn't tell anyone else where they were.

Years ago I was listening to beekeepers in San Diego complain about getting
crowded. I made the naive suggestion that they all sit down with a map and
show each other where their locations are. Hoo boy, that would never happen.
"The other guy would find out where my bees are." So, how can you moan about
crowding, if nobody knows you're there?

pb  -- Thinking cooperation is an acquired trait