From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 12:33:05 -0700
If you write it and put your name on it, there is a de facto copyright attached.  It
is incumbent on anyone using your work to seek your permission which you may or may
not grant with or without conditions.  It is my understanding that the jury is still
out on whether publication (posting) in various forums on the internet is the
equivalent of publishing in print.  The reality is that it's harder to control what
you put on the net.

All of that having been said, one should always credit the source.  It is the honest
thing to do and serves as a defense if the author takes exception to your use of his
material.  And unless the material quoted is relatively short and a small portion of
the original work, permission must be obtained.