From:
peter dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 00:34:05 +0000
Bonjour from France!

Having spent the day traveling to and from Paris (800 km) with the demo.

in between, my head was more than swimming at 2 o'clock this morning.
So what happened!

Beekeepers from all over France arrived at the correct time and place,
It is thought there were about 1700 -1800 people.
This time without dead hives or vehicles - a little strange, a slightly
naked feeling and it took a time to rise to the occasion.
Arriving at the street that led to the Min of Ag. buildings - the way
was blocked, the first time that things were being taken as a
threatening - It was blocked by the famous French Riot Police, and there

was no way we were going to get through in a peaceful manner - and we
base our actions on peaceful demonstration.

After half an hour, representatives returning from the Min of Agric.
buildings it was a parade through the avenues and streets, beating
barrels banner waving etc.
The police had sealed every side street, so we were effectively directed

and so things moved happily enough except the demo. objective was not
being achieved!!
Up into a narrow street went the procession - and again blocked, this
time there was no backing off and after another 30/45 minutes of
standoff we were able to convince the CRS that no violence was intended.

The way was open to the actual Ministry of Agriculture Building.
There, with three rows of police and their support not too far away, the

spleen was vented.
Authoritative indifference reigned.
A giant smoker effectively "kippered" the police - a pity the
ventilation intake to the building wasn't evident
Plastic pots of honey broke against 2nd floor windows, traffic blocked
for about an hour.
To be honest, not a pleasant sight for somebody who prefers to pass his
time in the wilds of his apiaries.

Again the delegation were received inside the building.

What was achieved?
Promises, Promises and more Promises that the case has been understood
and we will be able to talk in the near future.

This is not the time or place to develop the science or politics.

Relating to the demonstration against Gaucho (Imidacloprid)

The following information is now available:

last abstract of the "Coordination des apiculteurs de France"

and latest photos. of the demonstration in Paris the 18th December 2000.

Have a look at:
http://www.beekeeping.com/index_us.htm

then click on: "New pages"

then click on "19/12/00 - Manifestation nationale française du 18
décembre 2000, à Paris, contre le Gaucho et autres pesticides."
Conclusion: Things have taken a step backwards.

There is still a tremendous amount of work to be done - I am afraid to
say, even though the scientific results are proving the case for the
total ban.
Political considerations are starting to raise its ugly head and more
than clouding the issue.

Peter