From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:22:53 EDT
In a message dated 4/13/00 10:01:59 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/bees000412.html >>

   Interesting. "(USDA researcher Robert) Danka explains Cape bees would
invade not only the colonies of killer bees, but also virtually all bee
colonies, causing them to become nonproductive or to die. Cape bee genes
could mix with those of our honeybees, ruining hundreds of years of selective
breeding."
   Somebody mentioned in a recent post that one of the problems US inspectors
are on the lookout for is the Cape bee. I was wondering why. When Danka says
nonproductive, does that apply to the time after invasion when the colony
becomes a fully functioning Cape bee colony? Does that mean they won't
produce surplus honey for market? Or does it mean that they are inefficient
pollinators?