From:
Bob Fanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 08:48:44 -0500
Betty Mc Adams wrote:
>You don't mention how far the bees have to go to a source of water for hive
>cooling.

The bees are on an irrigated cotton field.    The irrigation system was off
(for repair) for three days, ending three days prior to the kill (which
could be a factor), however other than the three days the system was on the
entire time span that the problem occurred.   The irrigation water is from a
creek about 1000 yards from my bees.

The bees are part of a cross pollination study with a local university and
we have other bees (from other beekeepers involved).   One of which has a
solar powered ventilating system.   I suspected he would have a really bad
kill however the irrigation system was positioned at the time such that his
kill would have washed away.   There is no direct "water on the hives" but a
good "run-off" stream.   I will ask the ventilated beekeeper to judge
relative colony strength when he is available and mud permits.

It is difficult to compare other hives due to the flushing effect of the
"run-off".   My bees get no "run off".  Other bees with no "run-off" had the
same kill that I did.

Since this is a university supervised study with anxious support from the
farmer, excellent chemical application information is available.   No
chemicals were applied.    The same farmer farms all other crops within
typical flying distance thus other agricultural chemical applications are
unlikely.

Thanks for your input.

Bob Fanning
Huntsville, AL