From:
Dennis Murrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Murrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 22:37:34 -0600
Ernest Huber responding by private email asked the following:
> Hi Dennis,
>         Thanks for your BEE-L post about the Varroa Blaster. I wonder if
you
> could say a few more details about the blaster? Like-
>         1) Is Confectioners sugar used, or is it granulated?
>         2) Why is it necessary to have BOTH a cap AND the nylon? Is the
cap
> just
>            for keeping the nylon in place? If so, then maybe it should
work to
>            secure the nylon in place without a cap? Why have TWO layers of
> nylon?
>         3) About what size holes and how many are in the cap?
>         4) About how much sugar per hive body is used?- or how many
"squirts"
>            per pair of frames?
>         5) Do you remove two frames and space the others out like the
other
> author?
>         If you think my questions would be of general interest maybe you
> should post the answers in BEE-L. The techniques you guys are talking
about
> sound like they might become really important IPM procedures.
>                                         Ernie Huber

Hello Ernest, Thanks for the questions.

I am using confectioners sugar and the cap is drilled with about half a
dozen 3/32" holes which reflects the smallest drill bit I have. I used the
holes because squeezing the plastic bottles displaced only a small volume of
air, especially when the bottle is half full of confectioners sugar. The
small holes allow for a greater velocity and pressure with the small volume.

Initial testing of the cap without the nylon resulting in plugged holes with
as I simply filled the plastic bottle with the confectioners sugar right out
of the bag rather than the sifting and sealed storage of the sugar as used
by others. I wanted to keep this bottle behind the seat of my truck and use
it as needed without a lot of fuss.

A single layer of nylon was used to keep the coarser lumps of sugar from
plugging the holes. A quick rap of the bottom of the bottle on a firm
surface allowed the blaster to work unrestricted again.

It also appeared that the nylon produced a much finer dust. Two layers of
nylon worked even better, easily producing a dust that resembles smoke.

I remove two frames and then use that space to separate each pair of frames.
Each side of a frame gets about 2 or 3 blasts and the operation is repeated
for adjacent frames. The blasts are directed across the frames and onto the
bees rather than perpendicular to the frames and into the cells, although I
am not sure it makes any difference.

I have used about 1/2 pound of sugar per 5 hives.

Best Wishes
Dennis Murrell