From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:10:20 -0500
Those interested in reading some information on Rape (Canola, Colza) might find the somewhat dated article
written by Kenn Tuckey in 1998 useful.

> http://www.albertabeekeepers.org/Articles/0698_1.htm

The reason that I posted the original mail was due to having listened to several radio programmes over several
  days from the state just south of us here in Manitoba - it being North Dakota.

The programme was based on a phone in, accepting calls from all over the U.S.

independence, the topic of Bio fuels was investigated.

Increases in production are programmed, with if I understood correctly, certain states intending to place as
much as 20% bio-fuel into conventional diesel fuel.

It seems to me that there will be an increase in crop hectares (acres) to accommodate this increase.
This suggests that potential for an increase in honey crops quantities.

Presuming that the US is not going to be the only country to involve itself in this type of fuel production,
does it not suggest that there may well be an increase in the amount of honey arriving on to the market?

I wonder how the honey producers in the US, Canada and the EU (to indicate just a few) will cope with an
increased tonnage of honey on the open global market.
I am presuming that the price will be pressured downwards even further.

Would it not be reasonable for the organisations directing Apicultural activities to be lobbying to indicate
that for good quality oil production, there is a need for good seed, soil, management AND proper pollination.

It would be excellent if it were recognised that bees are needed as a support in the development of this
budding industry.

Regards,

Peter