From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:38:07 -0400
At 06:33 PM 9/9/02 -0600, you wrote:
>  I doubt they did much if any real testing. Great idea a national mite
> survey.

Right, but there would have to be a standard test. I mentioned the ether
roll and George made a comment about "that damn ether roll" which he
neglected to explain. Is there a feeling against doing the ether roll? I
think it is the most reliable quick test. A better test is to put the bee
sample in alcohol and agitate till all the mites come loose, and strain
them out for counting.

But I assume the objection (since George didn't say) is to killing the
200-300 bees needed for the sample. I would liken this to taking a blood
sample in humans. They won't be missed. I imagine a colony loses anywhere
from 500 to 1500 bees every day to attrition. I bet a quick thunderstorm
would take out that many.

I have always thought of the colony as the thing, not the individual bees.
I know this is how *they* operate. But I realize some people are squeamish
about killing bees and I respect that. I just don't believe it is avoidable
in normal beekeeping.

pb