From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:02:37 -0500

>   one person asked 'for those of us who do not have enough
>drawn comb, how do you recommend drawing foundation?"

When I want more drawn combs, I proceed a little differently than George
and Lloyd. I don't put the super with 10 frames of foundation first.

The first supers to go on...before the flow starts...are supers of drawn
comb...9 per super.
Once the flow is on, and the bees are filling the supers well, I add the
new super with 10 frames of foundation....under the full supers.
         Since the colonies I add foundation to are the strongest
colonies...their filling their supers...and it is during a good
flow...their filling their supers...I almost always get ten nice combs. I
never use queen excluders. I do the same for deep foundation. For deeps,
first year I extract the honey, second year the comb goes in a broodnest.

Mike