From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 21:56:15 -0800
Hi to all on BEE-L

I wrote:
>Also, if the first trip by Columbus brought back wax and I
>am sure others did also, then has any of this wax been
>sampled and analyzed to see what type of bees made it?

Adrian Wenner replied:
If the wax Columbus had used, in fact, had been some type
of beeswax, it could well have been from Trigona and/or
Melipona colonies that natives inthe Yucatan had been
keeping for centuries before the arrival of Columbus
(see Eva Crane's books on that matter).

Reply:
Yes, Adrian I understand this, so I repeat:

Has any of this early wax been sampled and analyzed to what
type of bees made it from early voyages from America back
to Europe? Isn't there any samples of early wax to be found
in any museums in Europe that could be sampled?

Or not a question answers are wanted for???

Easier to say seperate species for AHBs, then search for
better possible roots/heritage?

Regards,

Dee (p.s. I will look up Barton ref in the library when I
get time).