From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 21:10:18 -0500
Aaron Morris wrote:

> I have so far not been able to get any Russian stock.   The long anticipated
> arrival is not yet here.

I have acquired two Russian queens from Strachan Apiaries in California.  They
were my second try.  The first was sold out.  I paid a premium price, but they
arrived last weekend and I installed them.

"It appears that the Russian stock is "hesitant" to interact with non-Russian
lineage "

Interesting that you would mention this.  Five days after I installed one of the
Russian queens in a nuc I went in to find her still in the cage.  That happens
once in a while.  But, when I pulled the screen off and encouraged her to exit
onto a frame of brood, she seemed to not want to leave the cage.  I would call
her "hesitant."  I have not experienced this with other queens before.

The bees were quite interested in her.  I could not tell if this was positive or
negative.  She ultimately disappeared down a frame with a large court of
workers.  I hope it was a welcoming party and not a lynch mob.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL  USA