From:
Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:58:51 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>

> Wrist & arm were the spots talked about by Dr. Carlston MD.. Some
> peoplehave also got veracose veins.

Hi Bob,

I can see the wrist - sort of, but you are still talking several mm to
an artery, as far as other parts of the arm - I can't see it.  Veins
maybe, arteries, nah.  Veins are much more likely to be close to the
surface, which makes sense.

I don't ahve mnost of my bee books where I am at the moment - how long
is a bees stinger?

> I (like you Keith) give animals shots as I live on a farm and raise
> livestock.
> A shot of ivomec or Cd& T  (I have been told) can cause anaphylaxis in
> animals if a blood vein is hit.

Absolutely - many things that are innocuous given IM or SC can be
devastating if given IV or in an artery.  The vast majortiy of the time
such a mishap occurs, the material will be deposited in a vein.

This is important as materials deposited in an artery must go to a
capillary bed before being diluted in the general circulation, and this
can have serious implications.  There are a number of medications that
are given IV, that should never be given in an artery.  The tissue
damage downstream from the ijection can be tremendous.

> I believe you told me you were a vet Keith?

Yes sir.  What livestock other than bees to you maintain?

Keith