From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:59:20 -0500
Amen to what David Ryre said about pollen.  We need to consider that the
balmy end of 1999 and its excessive brood rearing hit not only honey stores
but also pollen stores very hard.  I have colonies that have been consuming
1 oz per day of substitute for weeks, and their consumption is increasing.
The bees display anxiety if the cupboard goes bare.  It has seemed like an
early Spring is coming, but we have yet no significant nectar or pollen
sources outside the hive here in central Maine.  My bees in their own way
say the truth.  It is a very perilous time.

Bill Morong