From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:58:53 -0500
Hello Peter & All,
I feel compelled to respond and do wish you success with your situation!
Peter wrote:
 To move hives away from a toxin source is short termism - what happens
 if the molecule is applied on a wider scale and on other crops?

Never has happened before. At least not in the U.S.

 What happens if the original molecule spawns a family of others with
 similar properties?

Again you could be right but I have never seen a pesticide cause what you
are talking about.

 Take the problem with Imidacloprid - a well documented affair having two
 totally opposed sides, each claiming each is correct.

Proof is a big problem with getting compensation for pesticide kills in the
U.S.. Five beekeepers in Florida lost a big lawsuit over misquito spraying
pesticide kills around Miami, Florida.  The legal fees were around $250,000.
Not only did they get deadouts they got the added expense of the legal
battle
.
 I could move all my hives - to areas that are left as "clean" - but what
 crops are left! In my case, forest honey, except that there are
 clearings growing maize which has been treated with Gaucho.
 Move country - possible but not open to many. And why should a noble
 industry be chased into the recesses in the outback. I'm not the one
 causing the destruction.

The first lesson you learn in life is not everything is fair. I agree with
the things you have said but what are the alternatives.

  When it suits, the agricultural industry pats us on the back - for
 supplying one of the major links in food production via. pollination.
 Pity that once the result is achieved the thanks arrives as a dusting of
 poison.

Can I use the above and add your name and the date 2001 and put in a frame
and put on the wall of my office?  Profound statement which sums up the
whole senario. Pesticide kills are reality  in U.S. beekeeping.

 I've said it before and will continue to say it - we need a dedicated,
 respected group to work for recognition of the role of bees and one that
 delivers results - one that is supported by industry - beekeepers,
 packers, consumers et al. This will not come about by remaining quiet
 and no causing waves!

We have got two excellent bee organizations in the U.S. and they do work for
our best interests But as with all organizations the agendas are the agendas
of the elected officials.  Hope everything works out in France to your
liking!
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri