Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:32:33 GMT
>>I’m searching for procedures for harvesting mites and how to infest
a specific bee.

I'd imagine dusting a hive with sugar over a screened board would
yield many mites within a short time.  You'd rinse the sugar dust off
the mites afterwards.

Presented with a bee mites go to it like a magnet.  I once discovered
a mite on a drone larva and tried to catch it.  As soon as a worker
bee came along, the mite run up onto it.

>>...choosing mature female varroa from the bunch.

Is it easy to tell a female from a male?

>>If these varroa are placed on a bee, how soon till they begin
feeding?

I'd think that if you keep the collected mites alone for an hour or
two, they should get hungry then.

>>OR do you think that it is necessary for a varroa to begin feeding
in order for the bee to ‘solicite’ grooming?

I am not sure but heard they are only a few bee strains that actively
groom.  I recall that you've seen grooming in your bees.

>>Also curious if varroa tend to stay on the bee you place them
on, and should I wait some time before reintroducing the bee to the
colony?

I tried several times to pluck mites off of bees.  These critters run
fast and hide in every nook and crevice on the bee.  It's very
difficult to extract them without damaging the bee.  It's easier to
get stung before you get the mite. :)

>>...they usually continue with the grooming sequence and fly back to
the hive when finished.

Do they leave damaged mites behind in the jar?  It that's the case,
you've got some great bees.

Waldemar