From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:52:34 -0600
> With tens of thousands of hives crashing in the U.S. right now more
> than ever (from varroa resistant to both Apistan & Checkmite) do
> beekeepers need those bees & packages.

Some of us were talking last year about getting motions passed at the AHPA
and ABF meetings to get formic and oxalic approved for use the USA.
Somehow, the idea came to nothing, and now, it is looking like a fumble that
could lose the game for many.  Of course, not being a US beekeeper, it is
not my problem, and I hope my friends will forgive me for butting in and
expressing an opinion on what is really none of my business, but here
goes...

My perception is that many, if not most, US beekeepers are simply not well
informed -- or have even been deliberately misinformed -- on the topic and
do not realise that a cheap, reliable alternative to expensive pesticides is
right at hand.  I've followed US discussions on the matter, and found that
many misperceptions abound.

In particular, I attended a discussion on the subject at the ABF last
January, and, frankly, I was so shocked at the conviction with which
misinformation about formic and oxalic was presented by people I very much
respect that I was reluctant to speak up and correct them.  That is not to
say that there are not many US beekeepers who have seen the light and
decided to seek out information.  Canadian beekeepers are often asked for
details of the treatments by desperate US counterparts.

Most concerns are about safety, and although there are risks, AFAIK, these
chemicals and/or very similar chemicals are widely used in various
commercial applications in the US and are, AFAIK, available to the public
without special permit, (sometimes under a proprietary name?).  Moreover,
formic and oxalic are in use legally in many jurisdictions in Europe, (and
Europeans are often derrided for being fussy and prone to overregulation of
everything).  Canada has approved formic some time ago, and formic is
officially recommended for use in combatting mites, and Canada is now well
on the way to getting oxalic approved as well.  Experiments are underway to
verify the efficacy of oxalic methods under Canadian conditions, as we
speak.  In fact, a researcher was here, just the other day following up on
some test applications in my hives.

For those who want to know the details of oxalic and formic application and
efficacy, there is no shortage of information on the 'net.  Some say that
these chemicals are too dangerous for Americans to use, but what does that
say about Canadians and Europeans?  Are they better educated, more careful,
or just more daring and their regulators foolhardy?

IMO, coumaphos is more dangerous, yet is in widespread use -- and now it
doesn't work in an increasing number of places.

Too bad that the motions to get approval for formic and oxalic never got to
the convention floors.   Will they make it past the secretaries this year?
If not, then what?

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/