From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:47:22 EDT
been about the same.  The types of chemicals change a bit  with the years and
regions.  We still see residues of DDT, DDD, and DDE,  although these are
very slowly dropping off.

A few weeks ago, I sent the following to our colleagues on the CCD Working
Group:

CCD Working Group:  I managed to free up a few minutes and looked up  some of
our previous pesticide work, as well as those of some of our  colleagues.

We collected hundreds of bee and pollen samples at Aberdeen Proving Grounds
and at off-site areas north of Baltimore in the late 1990s, early 2000s.

We found 4,4'-DDT, 4,4'DDE, 4,4'-DDD, aldrin,  gamma-chlorodane dieldrin,
alpha-BHC, beta-BHC, delta-BHC, gamma-BHC  (lindane), endosulfan sulfate, endrin,
endrin aldehyde, heptachlor, heptachlor  epoxide, and various PCBs (aroclor
1260, 1248, 1254).

I should note: Anderson, J.F.; Wojtas, M.A. (1986) also found  PCBs in bees,
as well as lots of other pesticides in samples from Connecticut  counties.

More often than not, in the Aberdeen/Baltimore area, we found  detectable
levels of pesticides in most bee samples,  and sometimes in pollen.  Heptachlor
was seen in both bees  and pollen and was often the highest concentration
(ug/kg dry weight).   299+ 360.  PCB concentrations often exceeded those of
pesticides.  In fact, over the last 20 years, we have been unable to find a  bee
sample that does not contain readily detectable levels of PCBs.  Not
surprisingly, DDT and its breakdown products remain readily detectable in many  soils.

In Europe, the Italians have conducted some long-term and wide area  sampling
for pesticides.  Porrini et al., in a four-year  pesticide monitoring study
(1983-86), found 70.8% of the samples tested positive  for Dithiocarbamates,
15.3% for dimethoate, 14.7% for parathion, 11.9% for  azinphos-methyl, 11% for
carbaryl, 10.4% for methyl parathion, 7.2% for  endosulfan, 7.2% for omethoate,
and 2.4% for methamidophos.  The Italians  noted that the dithocarbamates,
used as fungicides, are considered to be of low  toxicity to bees, however, they
were the most widespread chemicals in dead bees  in cultivated fields.

In recent litigation concerning pesticides and bees in the U.S., for which
we consulted to several different beekeepers, sevin xlr and  furadan were
allegedly involved in several severe bee  kills.  The residue levels that we've
seen would indicate poisoning  events by these chemicals in the cases that we
saw.  Finally, we've  had some recent correspondence with USGS that indicates
that pyrethroid  usage is on the increase in California, and is showing up in
more and more water  samples.

Finally, whereas pesticide residues are common in bees, our work has shown
that other environmental chemicals occur in bee colonies, sometimes at toxic
levels.  For example, heavy metals and fluoride in industrial  regions.  Among
the volatile and semi-volatile organics, chemicals like  benzene and styrene
stand out in terms of concentrations and/or  prevalence.

We look forward to learning how the PSU/USDA results compare with  these
studies.

Jerry