From:
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:53:46 -0700
 You wrote: The City of Aurora Colorado will be having a Code Enforcement
and Redevelopement Committee meeting .. and Africanized "killer bees" ..
are expected to invade Colorado at sometime in the future

In my opinion, this is a compelling argument for putting in place
residential beekeeping ordinances that favor and guide placement of bee in
urban areas.  If you outlaw the docile European bee, it will certainly be
replaced by feral AHB.

Properly placed beehives pose little threat to people, short of sitting on
a honey bee, it won't sting you while its out foraging.  My wife's taken
ultra-close macro-photos for many years now, and has never even come close
to being stung, yet she's been within inches of thousands of bees.

Near the hive, in front of the hive entrance, or right after a colony has
been roughly handled by a beekeeper, and you will see some defensiveness.
That's easily offset by placing hives back on lots, a fence in front to act
as a baffle to force bees up and over -- what you don't want is people
walking in front of the hive, intersecting their incoming and outgoing
flight path.

I have an observation hive on our campus, and people eat their lunch at a
picnic table under the tube that goes through the window, and no one has
been stung- most don't notice.  The Smithsonian flies an obervation hive
out onto the Mall in D.C.

There's never going to be NO RISK from anything.  But I'd rather see
properly managed and positioned bees in cities than their exclusion, which
leaves the door wide open for the more aggressive AHB.

Cheers