From:
Irwin Harlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 23:19:02 -0500
Brian Fredericksen  wrote

"so you have lots of small hive beetles in Canada ? Eh? and TM resistant
AFB? "

We do have TM resistant AFB, it's not rampant but it isn't going away
either.
I believe one small hive beetle was found in 2005 in manitoba, in a bee
yard in which Australian packages had been installed the year before,
Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.Previously several years back an
infestation of beetles was found at a wax rendering plant,a  load of wax
had come from one of the southern states, all the beetles were eradicated
but not before infesting one of the local beekeepers hives.
As  it has been stated before the wintering verses package bees is
whipping a dead horse.The pros and cons have been well debated. Eh?

Perhaps it is a good thing that border is closed  ( thought I would never
say that)  we would only have more colonies and more honey to sell.Did not
agree with the way CFIA did it or their logic behind it.Africanized bees
have yet to be proven as a threat to the Canadian  honey industry and that
was 20 years ago.I guess we all better get used to more government
involement in our buissness and personal lives,after 9/11 the world
definetly changed.

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *