From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:00:29 -0500
Steve, in Alaska, admits to being a long-term lurker and wants to know about
what extractor to buy.

First, are you certain you want to buy an extractor?  I have customers in
Alaska (and the Yukon) who claim such extravagant prices for comb honey that
I have to wonder why anyone would produce anything else!  How about $10 for
a box of cut comb or a Ross Round?  Of course, you need to sell it where the
tourists are!

Onto extractors...I bought my own just last year.  Since the bee equipment
dealers are all customers of mine, I will not recommend a model so much as
share my shopping experience.

The best advice I got was "look for a used Maxant or Hubbard, just be
certain it is stainless".  Around here it is almost impossible to find
either that is for sale.  However, it is common to find both that have been
in use for 20 years or more!  Which says something about why they are so
prized.  Beyond that, consider the following:
1. Are the seams welded or soldered?  I personally would not one that is
soldered.  Soldered seams are more likely to break, and it can be very
difficult to find someone willing to repair them.
2. Are spare parts readily available?
3. If you are buying new, buy larger than you think necessary, and get the
best you can afford.
4. The market for extractors is so competitive that you can safely buy by
price.  This means that if an extractor of a given size sells for more or
less than a competitive model, it is worth just what it is selling for...see
below for the exceptions.
5. In five to ten years, you will probably be able sell your extractor for
about what you paid for it.
6. Some of the extractors made in Europe are bargains.  They are
artificially low-priced because of the high US$ during the past couple of
years.  However, see item 2, above.

I hope this helps.

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.