From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:05:31 -0500
Hello All,
George Imirie wrote:
> You should NEVER remove an inner cover without a lighted smoker close by!
> Note, I  did not say "using it", but said "Lighted and close by"  You
never <>know when  you are going to need it, and in an emergency, a minute
delay  >while you are  trying to light it might mean a disaster.<

From pg. 35 of "How to keep bees & Sell Honey "by Walter Kelley
"Never attempt to enter any hive without a good smoker in the hand available
for instant use" "To do otherwise is to court disaster which may result not
only in the severe stinging of yourself but anyone else in the vicinity"
These words of wisdom which echo George's come from another legendary
beekeeper. Several on the Bee-L list talk about never using smoke. Nuc's
yes but not strong production hives.  I would rate beekeeping tools in this
order.
1. smoker
2. veil
3. gloves
Working bees continually without smoke *in my opinion* MAKES BEES
AGGRESSIVE. I have had many a beginner call about the stinging problems he
was having.   Most of the time the smoker was out and instead of taking the
time to light the smoker they press on with the bees getting more upset.
Without smoke to smoke the sting area the smell of venom is in the air.
Like George & Walter have said I have seen our sweet and gentle European
bees get as nasty as Africanized Honeybees  AND AS QUICK! Rare but will
happen if you keep bees long enough. When it happens back away as quickly
and calmly as you can. wait and return when the situation mellows. With bees
when they determine you are invading their home (as with a bear) their first
instinct is to remove you from the area. When the other 20+ hives join in
better head for the truck for a few minutes. I won't lie to the list. I have
had to climb in the truck a couple times.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. One of the  worst times I ever got stung happened when I was around 16
years old doing migratory beekeeping in Florida . Tripped and fell  on a
hive coming off a truck. One of my first beekeeping lessons and a real *eye
opener *or should I say *eye closer*. Never forgot the lesson!