From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:09:15 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't it regular  beekeeping practice
cull all comb with drone cells on them from the  brood nest unless a
beekeeper were breeding queens for themselves or for  sale? I think most
beekeepers think that drones are only good for one  purpose, that is mating
with a  queen.>>

From what I've seen, bees will raise drones in  drone cells for preference,
but will raise them quite happily in worker cells if  they have to.extra drone
comb can certainly lead to the raising of extra drones,  but lack of it won't
stop a strong colony from raising as many as it wants. Has  anyone else seen
this? Personally I wouldn't wantcolonies to be without them,  except of course
in the case of the odd one with a misbred queen.

    Regards,

    Robert Brenchley