Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:04:01 -0700
IMHO, if the migratory beekeepers continue "business as usual" by
bringing all-of-them north every year, eventually these
unselected, wild-type AHBs will get selected for cold weather. How
about imagining bees that can overwinter in Minnesota, and are "a
little more feisty"?

This is prob not a popular view, but experiences on the front in
Tucson lead us (me and several others) to see the AHB at about the
same stage as coyotes, that is - unselected and possessing the
wide genetics to make selection under pressure quite rapid.
They can also be selected for gentleness, if you have the time.

I guess I could point out the spread of coyotes into NEUS cities,
but that might be a stretch....
   - John Edwards, Vancouver, WA