Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:14:18 -0500

> There was a time when we thought we could just drain all the
> swamps, but now we
> know that is not a good idea.  We are in a new world where
> there are no right or
> wrong answers, and each situation is unique.  Sometimes we
> drain a swamp, and
> other times we find another way.

If there are no right or wrong answers then why bother?

Take careful measurements for the experiment? Why bother? You will not get a
"right" answer.

I don't want to offend but the concept of no right and wrong is nonsense.
There are things that are black. There are things that are white. There are
things that are shades of grey. There are also red, green and blue. There
are things so complex that we lack the ability to even start to understand
how they work.

There are many simple answers, few easy solutions. Need more room? Move the
mountain. Simple? Yes. Easy? No.

Same with the TM issue?

Detect AFB burn the hives.

Sounds good until you get a 10% infection rate. After reading Allen's diary
every day solid for the last few months I doubt his operation could have
withstood a 3% infection rate. I agree with George's advice that burning is
best on one front but sometimes what is best for the forest is not good for
individual trees. If we ignore the needs of enough trees then we don't have
much of a forest anymore.

There is a right answer to all of this. One best solution. I am just not
sure anyone knows what that is. I hope that between science and skill we
find it.

-
"One of the best examples of pure democracy in action is the lynch mob"
- AA4YU