From:
Alden Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:33:28 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Fredericksen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:59 PM
Subject: [BEE-L] Painted bees

> This week in southern Minnesota I saw most of the forager bees
> coming  in with a white streak of pollen or plant material from their
> head all the way down their backs.

I have some hives in a stand of Jewel Weed that produces that white stripe
on the backs. The bee has to crawl into the cone past the stamen to reach
the nectary. The blossom hangs such that the stamen is on the top side as
the bee crawls in. Some of the bees enter in upside down which would leave a
stripe un the under side, usually not obvious.

Alden Marshall
Hudson, NH  03051